Thursday, August 12, 2010

Voting in a Suit and Sorels

The other day our Station Leader, Ali, was contacted by the Antarctic Division's media officer asking her to volunteer (v.trans?) an expeditioner from Canberra to speak to a journalist from The Canberra Times about voting in remote locations. Being the only dude from Canberra on station I was dobbed in to pose for some photographs and speak to said journo about who I will be voting for in the up-coming federal election and why.

Yesterday I spoke with this guy on the phone. That was okay and I'm still waiting to see how what I said is used in the article that gets written. Then today I went and grabbed a Hagg. I attached to the back of it "Digger's Rest", the portable toilet that served our traverse-goers so well many weeks ago. Digger's rest was to be our polling booth for the shots.


 I went inside the ops building and there was Ali, setting up the polling box.


She'd also printed out some labels to put on the polling booth. These served the dual purpose of labelling the cubicle for the photos and masking the fact that the box is usually a crapper.



Now we were all set up, it was just up to our photographer and director, let's call him Rodent, to set up that winning shot. He is an enigma of legendary skill and does not abide by the usual laws of the the rectangular photo. Nobody has ever seen his face. Here he is in action:



Rodent took a few photos and we ended up with some good ones. Did I mention I was wearing a suit with some Antarctic accessories? This one of Pete and me has got to be the winning shot for the newspaper:


but for my money, I really dig this other one of Pete and me:


I like to imagine that the guy in the suit (me) has just parachuted out of a jet fighter to deliver his vote and there's a speedboat waiting to pick him (me) up nearby.

Well done, Rodent, you've done it again. The denizens of Canberra are in for a treat.

Well that's some of the news from today. I also went out ice-drilling again and completely lost sight of station in a mini-blizzard but was saved by the magical GPS. No problem, we have radios too and everyone knows where I go to drill but still, it's crazy to think that I had no idea what was around me or which direction I was facing. Two guys, two quads, one bamboo marker stick, and oblivion...

On that note, I've a speedboat to catch. Stay safe, keep visible, and look out for the article in this Sunday's Canberra Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment